ARGENTINA: HEAD OF NAVY SACKED

December 16, 2017

Argentina fired the head of its navy a month after a submarine disappeared in the South Atlantic with 44 crew members onboard, a government spokesman said on Saturday.

Letting go of Navy Admiral Marcelo Eduardo Hipólito Srur was the first known disciplinary action taken by President Mauricio Macri’s administration since contact was lost with the ARA San Juan on Nov. 15.

“It was decided to remove him,” a government spokesman said.

 

Srur graduated in 1979 and served as Commander of Training and Recruiting from 2013 until his appointment as Chief of the General Staff last year.

The San Juan was returning from a routine mission to Ushuaia, near the southernmost tip of South America, when it reported an electrical breakdown related to the submarine’s batteries. The sub and her 44 crewmembers were ordered to return to the naval base at Mar del Plata for repairs, and the vessel’s last known position was about 240 nm off the coast of Patagonia, near the San Jorge Gulf. A catastrophic explosion was recorded in the area where the submarine went missing.

Families of the crew members criticized Macri’s government for not clearly communicating with them and for abandoning rescue efforts.

The navy said on Nov. 27 that water that entered the submarine’s snorkel caused its battery to short-circuit before it went missing. The navy had previously said international organizations detected a noise that could have been the submarine’s implosion the same day contact was lost.

Hope of rescuing survivors was abandoned on Nov. 30. The navy said it searched for double the amount of time the submarine would have had oxygen. An international search for the submarine is still underway.

Check Also

FISHING VESSELS ACCOUNT FOR HALF OF OCEAN PLASTIC POLLUTION

02 AUG 2022 Karen Scott (The Conversation)– Ocean plastic pollution was a focus at the recent UN …

Leave a Reply